Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Art School: Wendy, Session 1 of 3.

I'm taking a portrait painting class this term that spans three 3-hour sessions.  Here are the results I made during the first 3-hour session, with process shots included.  Each photo represents a 20-minute interval of time (with a few intervals missing).  Many thanks to my instructor, Lucas Graciano, for his help.

Wendy After First Session (Oil on canvas board, 9 x 12").  At this point, I like how it's looking.  It reminds me of a Robert Henri painting.

Initial lay-in.  I used a mixture of transparent maroon, sap green, and ultramarine blue for the contour lines.


Spawned partially from the pace of my plein air painting sessions over the past few weeks, I decided to work faster and more intuitively.  I created a pot of flesh tone using yellow ochre, cad red light, and titanium white and then just added various colors to that to create different values and temperatures.  Since this was the first week, I didn't want too much variation -- I wanted to keep it simple.  I tried to react quickly from what I saw looking at the model.



No comments: