Saturday, May 26, 2012

Art Class: Rose In Blue Light.

Rose in Blue Light (Oil on canvas board, 9x12"). Painted from live model in 2 1/2 hours.



This term I'm taking a class titled: "Portrait in Oil: Emphasis on Lighting."  In it, we explore different lighting situations: two lights, back lighting, warm light, lighting from below, lighting from the side, etc.  For this session, the model was lit by a lone blue light hovering above.  I loved it.  Recently I've started greying down my colors so this leads naturally into this lighting scheme.  I relish using a greyish-purple in paintings.  Rose has large eye openings which can be a challenge, but I'm pleased with how I handled them.  She also had multi-colored hair -- black on top and blonde below -- which was a fun rendering to tackle.  I feel this is one of my better portraits.  Many thanks to my instructor, Jeff Watts, for his help.

No comments: