Sunday, March 18, 2012

Art: Rachelle.

Rachelle (Oil on gessoed illustration board, 7x7").


This was a good learning experience.  There were a dozen times I wanted to retire the painting, but I kept marching on.  At various stages, it felt too "comic-booky," with strong outlines for the eyes and other features. I felt that the drawing and values were strong, which left only one thing: edges.  So I went back and started to assess all of my edge work.  With a long haired sable brush, I softened edges.  I mixed transition colors and applied them between adjacent values that required an intermediate value step. And then I tried to notice the little things -- the small accents of color that informed shape.  Generally speaking, I'm pleased with how it turned out.  That last step -- taking a shape-and-value accurate painting and getting it to transcend into something nuanced, painterly, and emotional -- is difficult and something that can't be taught.  You just have to fight with it.  I'm still learning.  This was a good step.

It was also my first time painting on gessoed illustration board (Crescent 100.3).  I only applied one layer of gesso so I worried that the paint would soak in too quickly and I'd lose my wet-into-wet ability, but I never encountered that problem.  The other concern was that the surface would become slippery and paint would easily lift off, but that didn't come to fruition either.  I enjoyed the surface quite a bit -- more than Masonite.  I added texture to the surface when I applied the gesso, and some of that texture can be seen in the painting.

2 comments:

B said...

this is one of my favorites that you've done. just lovely.

Bryan Tipton said...

Thanks Beth! This painting surprised me a bit which is always the best kind of art to create. While it's still new, I have a particular fondness for it.