Wednesday, July 20, 2011

I M_DE _ MIST_KE

One of my favorite places in San Diego is Newbreak Coffee Shop in Ocean Beach.  Located along the beach, it's a welcoming environment with incredibly kind baristas and friendly locals.  It has a great vibe.

I'll bring my sketchbook and pens, get my large coffee and bagel with pesto cream cheese, and take refuge at a small table drawing.  I carry a small stack of 4x6 photos with me to use as reference.  I flipped through my photos yesterday and just didn't feel excited by any of them.  I looked out the window and found my subject matter... a palm tree, the lifeguard tower, and Newbreak written on the window itself.

I went straight-in with pen for the tree, but wanting to capture the font of the lettering, I opted to first draw the script in pencil and then go in with a pen.  I drew guidelines and then carefully crafted the letters, and once satisfied, I went over each letter with pen.  I added color using my watercolor pan set and water brush.  I felt generally pleased with the result.  Not perfect, but I felt like I captured a moment.

Later in the evening I opened my sketchbook to review my work and my lettering. Oh crap.

Out the Window (Pen and watercolor in Moleskine sketchbook, 5 x 8").

No comments: